9.11.2011

september 11

via twitter

I can't believe it's been 10 years?! I have always felt a strong connection to NYC and when everything happened, it hit me hard and still boggles my mind when I think about it.

I was a junior at the University of Colorado, Boulder and remember my roommate, Nicole, running into my room to tell me to turn on the TV, a plane had flown into the twin towers. It was two hours earlier in Colorado, so I thought she was joking but she dragged me out of bed and once I saw what was happening I was shocked. We woke all of our other roommates up and huddled around the TV watching as the second plane hit and the towers fell.

Our classes were cancelled and we spent most of the day in front of the TV, just watching the horror and hoping everyone we knew was safe. My cell phone was a Boston number and wasn't working because the lines were so busy, as was the case with many of my friends with New York numbers, so we all literally just waited for phone calls from people saying they were ok. Luckily all of my immediate family and friends were safe, but slowly the bad news started to trickle in...my friend from high schools sister worked in one of the towers, another friends mom was also in the building for a meeting, and a friends father was on one of the flights from Boston to Los Angeles. As the reality began to set in, I just couldn't believe that these people were gone and the twin towers, my favorite part of the New York City skyline, simply weren't there any more.

I am thinking of them all today and am so thankful for all the NYC firefighters, police officers and first responders who risked their own lives for others on September 11 and for the military who are still fighting to maintain the freedom we enjoy today.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post - hope you had a good weekend.

    Love,
    G'Ma

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails