8.20.2011

mama icon: jane birkin

via
I've been thinking about starting a series of post about mothers who are style icons - in fashion, design, art, etc. simply because I'm interested in this kind of thing and maybe some of you are too? Personally, after turning 30 this year and becoming a mama, I feel like my style has completely changed. I'm less interested in having an excess number of items and would rather have a few great pieces that I supplement with fun accessories, shoes, etc. For the everyday, I've also found myself dressing for function, which I suppose I didn't need to do as much before I was a mom. I NEVER used to wear shorts {I just simply didn't like them on me}, but this summer I've pretty much worn a pair of shorts every day. If I'm going to the park, or Gymboree class, or to sit on the floor at story time, a skirt just isn't going to cut it.

Anyway, I have a few of these mama style icons in mind, but thought I'd being with one of my personal favorites....

Jane Birkin was famously known as a style icon and mama in the 60's and 70's but her name lives on today as the namesake for the quintessential Hermes Birkin Bag, which is notoriously difficult to obtain and um...pay for? At $10,000+ it isn't an item I'll have anytime soon....or ever.

While I was doing a bit of research about her, I came across a number of images that showed her carrying a straw basket. It turns out she was more interested in carrying a basket then the expensive bag, which was named for her. Interesting, huh?

via

And how cute are those bangs and jeans? I have a love/hate relationship with bangs and always want them, but rarely can maintain them for more then one haircut cycle. And the little bohemian in me will always prefer a great pair of wide leg, bell bottom jeans. Always.

via
Jane has three daughters - Kate Barry, Lou Doillon and Charlotte Gainsborough - Kate is a photographer while Lou and Charlotte are both style icons in their own right

via
via

Like mother, like daughter, no?

And by the way, if anyone would be so generous to buy me a Birkin bag, unlike Jane I would happily carry it everywhere with me :)


2 comments:

  1. haha ummm, yes to the yes on the birkin. Also, I think you would look really pretty with heavier, straight across bangs. I thought they looked a little thicker when I saw you on Sunday. You really should try them. Not that you need this, but they always make women look younger-added bonus :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved this post! very educational.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails